School of Ecology and Environment StudiesResume
Dr. Prabhakar Sharma is an Assistant Professor at the School of Ecology and Environment Studies, Nalanda University. In addition to teaching a number of courses, Dr. Sharma developed an environmental laboratory for teaching and investigating engineered nanomaterials fate and transport in subsurface systems. Earlier, he served at the Department of Earth Sciences, Uppsala University, Sweden as an Assistant Professor. He was involved in teaching field and groundwater modelling related courses and performed research related to large scale CO2 sequestration through a laboratory scale setup for transport and leakage of gaseous CO2 in subsurface media, in addition, continued his research related to nanomaterial transport and retention. He had also worked at University of Western Ontario (Canada) and Ålbog University (Denmark) as a full time researcher to understand the fate and transport of nanoparticles and gaseous contaminants using column experiment and modeling through saturated and unsaturated zone. His PhD dissertation was in the area of Soil Physics and the specific research topic dealt the problems associated with movement of micro-size particles in the subsurface system (Colloid and Colloid-Facilitated Transport) at Washington State University, USA.
Teaching and research experience
Dr. Sharma has been involved with number of academic and non-academic activities and received several awards and fellowships for continuing his higher education and research activities. In his research carrier, he had supervised one PhD and several masters’ students, published more than two dozens of peer-reviewed journal articles, and received number of grants/fellowships for performing those researches. As part of his professional responsibilities, he is serving in the editorial board for Frontiers in Environmental Science and World Science Environment as well as volunteering to review 6-8 journal articles every year.
Dr. Sharma is currently leading the subsurface hydrology research related to transport and leakage of CO2 (for geological storage of CO2), fate and transport of gaseous contaminants, the role of liquid-gas interfaces on the interaction of colloids and nanomaterials, and contaminant-soil interactions for establishing a program that focuses on micro- as well as macro-scale behaviour of contaminant migration. In addition, he is involved in local and regional scale surface and shallow subsurface hydrological research through field and modeling of soil properties and subsurface water bodies using various logging techniques. Selected publications
- Chen, C., J. Shang, X. Zheng, K. Zhao, C. Yan, P. Sharma, and K. Liu. 2018. Effect of physicochemical factors on transport and retention of graphene oxide in saturated media. Environ. Pollution 236:168-176.
- Yang, W., Y. Wang, J. Shang, K. Liu, P. Sharma, J. Liu, and B. Li. 2017. Antagonistic effect of humic acid and naphthalene on biochar colloids transport in saturated porous media. Chemosphere 189:556-564.
- Yang, W., Y. Wang, P. Sharma, B. Li, K. Liu, J. Liu, M. Flury, J. Shang. 2017. Inuence of naphthalene on transport and retention of biochar colloids through saturated porous media. Colloids and Surfaces A: Physicochemical and Engineering Aspects 530:146-154.
- Hedayati, M., P. Sharma, D. Katyal, and F. Fagerlund. 2016. Transport and retention of carbon-based engineered and natural nanoparticles through saturated porous media. J. Nanoparticle Res. 18(3):1–11.
- Sharma, P., C.F. Tsang, I.T. Kukkonen, and A. Niemi. 2016. Analysis of six-year fluid electric conductivity logs to evaluate the hydraulic structure of the deep drill hole at Outokumpu, Finland. Int. J. Earth Sci. 105:1549–1562.
- Basirat, F., P. Sharma, F. Fagerlund, and A. Niemi. 2015. Experimental and modelling investigation of CO2 flow and transport in a coupled domain of porous media and free flow. Int. J. Greenhouse Gas Control. 42:461–470.
- Sharma, P. and F. Fagerlund. 2015. Transport of surface-modified carbon nanotubes through a soil column. J. Vis. Exp. 98, doi:10.3791/52634.
- Sharma, P., D. Bao, and F. Fagerlund. 2014. Deposition and mobilization of functionalized multiwall carbon nanotubes under varying porous media sizes and solution chemistry. Environ. Earth Sci. 72:3025–3035.
- Kocur, C., A. Chowdhury, N. Sakulchaicharoen, H. Boparai, K. Weber, P. Sharma, M. Krol, L. Austrins, C. Peace, B. Sleep, D.M. O'Carroll. 2014. Characterization of nZVI mobility in a field scale test, Environ. Sci. Technol. 48:2862–2869.
- Sharma, P. and T.G. Poulsen. 2009. Gas phase dispersion in compost as a function of different water contents and air flow rates, J. Contam. Hydrol. 107:101–107.
- Sharma, P., M. Flury and J. Zhou. 2008. Detachment of colloids from a solid surface by a moving air-water interface, J. Colloid Interface Sci. 326:143–150.
- Sharma, P., M. Flury, and E.D. Mattson. 2008. Studying colloid transport in porous media using a geocentrifuge, Water Resour. Res. 44, W07407, doi:10.1029/2007WR006456.
- EES 101 - Earth and Environmental Sciences
- EES 105 – Research in Ecology and Environment Studies
- EES 203 A – Hydrological Processes
- EES 301 A – Geohydrology
- EES 302 E – Nanomaterials in the Environment
- Ph.D. in Colloid Transport and Mobilization from Washington State University, USA
- M.Sc. in Water Resources Engineering and Management from Stuttgart University, Germany
- M.Tech. in Aquacultural Engineering from Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur
- B.Tech. in Agricultural Engineering from Rajendra Agricultural University, Pusa, Samastipur, Bihar